WELCOM is a study to investigate the links across commuter patterns, travel satisfaction, subjective and overall well-being.
The study is designed to capture the daily patterns of commuters in Cardiff, but most importantly to elicit their daily satisfaction with commuting and how that feeds into their overall subjective well-being.
This study has been approved by the ethics committee of the School of Geography and Planning, Cardiff University, and is in fulfilment of the award of a doctoral degree for Dami Akosile, a postgraduate research student in the school.
The data will be collected by BetterPoints (www.betterpoints.co.uk) over a 6-8-week period from 5 November 2018.
Participants will need to provide at least 3 days of commuting activities within a week (preferably 2-weekdays and 1-weekend day, if possible) for a period of 4 weeks.
All that is needed to take part is a smartphone equipped with mobile data services and the BetterPoints app.
Also, there’s a reward scheme for participants!
As you complete your journey and answer questions, you will be awarded points. You’ll also be entered into weekly and monthly draws for bonus points which can be redeemed for vouchers and gift cards to popular high street stores (amongst which are Topshop, Curry's PC World, Burton, Miss Selfridge, Sainsbury's, Tesco, John Lewis, Asda, and Pizza Express to mention a few). More information can be found in the 'Redeem' section on the app.
Please see below a breakdown of rewards that can be earned.
For a detailed breakdown of how activities are rewarded, navigate to the "Programmes" tab when you download the app and click on the Welcom Study. You can then scroll down to see each activity reward and click through for more details.
To join and participate in the study, please follow the steps outlined below.
For us to achieve the desired results, we understand that the whole survey exercise may be a bit taxing. However, we assure you that we have endeavoured to make the whole exercise the least intrusive as possible. Furthermore, it is important that the surveys are answered when due as this is essential to the study. See numbers 4, 5, 6,7, and 8 below for more details.
- Download the BetterPoints app from the PlayStore (Android devices) or App Store (iOS devices) to your mobile data enabled smartphone. (Just type in 'betterpoints' in the search bar of your device's app store).
- Complete the in-app registration and activate the app via the link sent to your email address.
IMPORTANT: Please enter the referral code 'WelcomResearch' when prompted during registration. This would allow you to access the Welcom study on the app when you navigate to the programmes tab after registration. And if you forget to enter this code during registration, you can do so by clicking on the 'add referral code' option in the main menu or simply contact customer care by leaving a message via the 'help' option.
- After the activation process, open the BetterPoints app, navigate to the 'Programmes' menu tab and join the Welcom Study.
- Go back to the 'Timeline' tab. You should see a notification on the timeline asking you to "please answer our initial survey to get started". Click on that notification (you will be taken to an external website - Qualtrics) and answer the survey questions. This should only take you about 8 minutes to complete. You can also access the initial survey via the link in the email sent by BetterPoints after registration.
- Each day you'll be asked a series of pre-commutesurvey questions: These will be pushed to your phone every morning (for your morning commute) and every evening (for your evening commute).A message about them will appear in your BetterPoints timeline. Please click through the message and answer the questions before you start your commute.
- As you set out to start and end your daily commute, please choose a mode of travel by logging it in the BetterPoints app. Just click the play button in the upper right-hand corner of the app and start your activity. Don't forget to press 'complete' and answer the questions after you travel. Please remember to complete this for both morning and evening commutes.
- Also, you'll be asked a series of post-commute questions daily. Please answer these a little while after you complete both your morning and evening journeys. As above with the pre-commute questions, these will be pushed to your phone and a message about them will appear in your BetterPoints timeline. Please click through the message and answer the questions.
- Finally, once every week, you will be required to complete a Subjective Well-being survey. A message will be pushed to your timeline reminding you. Please click through the message to complete this survey.
Please feel free to forward this invite to colleagues, family, and friends who may be interested in participating.
We thank you for your help.
Should you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.